Author Topic: Which Vault is for you?  (Read 7393 times)

TheHambone

• View Profile
Which Vault is for you?
« on: October 15, 2014, 07:02 »
Spoiler
Ok so here is the situation. Officially, the vaults were nuclear shelters designed to protect the American population from nuclear holocaust. However, with a population of almost 400 million by 2077, the United States would need 400,000 vaults that could shelter 1,000 people each. They built 122 such vaults. Now you may ask "Hambone, those numbers don't add up?". Exactly.  You see the government, and Vault-Tec, never really believed an actual nuclear war would occur; the real reason for the existence of these vaults was to run social experiments on pre-selected segments of population to see how they react to the stresses of isolation and how successfully they recolonize earth after the vault opens.

The Enclave, responsible for this grand experiment, the Societal Preservation Program, considered themselves prime candidates for recolonizing the world after nuclear holocaust and therefore commissioned the construction of their own shelters, isolated from the vault network. The purpose of the vault experiments was to help prepare the Enclave for either re-colonizing Earth or colonizing another planet if Earth turned out to be uninhabitable.

Here is the kicker. Rather than just building 122 perfect vaults and having a boring experiments with 122 of the same if not similar results the beloved government just couldn't resist throwing in some unknown and quite comical variables.
Backstory^

You are a middle of the road average Joe, just a normal guy living in a futuristic United States. The threat of a Nuclear War is becoming more likely and you are worried for your family. So you Take your life savings, and your inheritance and you buy you and your family a guaranteed future in a Vault-Tec vault. Wow you such a great guy/gal.

So here's the Big Question! Which vault do u choose? give me a quick summary of why and what happens to you and your family. be creative :D

ps. if it isnt listed you cannot pick it. these are the vaults you and your family have been accepted into.

Vault 3 - This vault was designed to open after 20 years, but the vault residents decide to stay locked longer. Shortly after deciding to stay locked in safe and tight a water leak forced them to open the doors. A group of Fiends Raped, Butchered, and Raided the vault and its inhabitants.

(Peaceful life followed by vicious death)

Vault 6 - Once a day, small doses of radiation are leaked into the vault. Overtime the inhabitants become feral ghouls.

(short life followed by long life as brain dead ghoul.

Vault 11 - This vault was a social experiment, testing human nature. the potential to sacrifice oneself for others. Once a year the vaults inhabitants must choose a sacrifice so the rest can survive. However when the vaults inhabitants finally refuse to choose a sacrifice a message will play. The message stated that by choosing not to select one of their own as a sacrifice, the dwellers are "a shining example to humanity" and that no one else will be killed, But when all is said and done on 5 people were still standing. Vault remains sealed till last 5 inhabitants.

(You may be a member of the final 5 but your family will not, you survive but only at the price of all your friends and family dying when in reality no one had to die to begin with, can you live with that?)

Vault 12 - Another vault into which radiation was leaked to study the effects on the vaults population. However unlike vault 6, the vault door was designed not to close properly.

(short life followed by long life as mindless ghoul with access to the wasteland. You're Free!)

Vault 17 - A normal vault with no added variables. However the Master's Army will inevitably capture the inhabitants and turn them into Super Mutants to fight in his army.

(75+ years of peace in the vault, captured and turned into Super Mutants your family included. At least you are still together.)

Vault 19 - This ones fun. The population of this vault is separated into two groups, Red and Blue. The groups lived in separate section of the vault and were chosen due to their pre-existing paranoia. A sulfur leak in the ventilation system only made the crazy crazier. Overtime the "Loony Bin" became abandoned and the majority of its inhabitants we're killed inside. What took place behind the locked vault door? no one really knows.

(you may live to see the waste but your mind isn't what it once was, and as for your family, well you can't quite remember lol)

Vault 22 - Another experimental Vault-Tec vault. Advanced agricultural research was conducted here to create strains of plants that can grow under artificial light. The experiment went terribly wrong. The inhabitants were turned into Spore Carriers, a zombie fungus creature who can explode to cause great damage.

(15 years of peace followed by a fungus infection turning all inhabitants into Spore Carriers, you included)

Vault 27 - This vault would be overcrowded deliberately. 2000 people, double the sustainable amount. A civil war inevitably takes place. Vault remains sealed.

(You've escaped the war outside only to fight the war inside. Your family is killed and you have seen what man is truly capable of.)

Vault 29 - No one 16 or older was permitted in this vault, parents included. ZAX a super computer and her robots will raise the children don't worry. The vault is eventually opened and its inhabitants become citizens of The Twin Mothers, a tribe where woman lead and men follow.

(You live a healthy life in the vault and eventually go into the waste to join The Twin Mothers tribe)

Vault 34 - This vault's armory was overstocked with weapons and ammunition but not provided with a lock. It is commonly believed that they had a brutal cival war before the winners and their ideologies became The Boomers, a group of gun nuts who live at Nellis Air Force Base [I live 20 mins from here lol].

(You are well armed and ready for shit to go down. However prior to leaving the vault you killed your spouse and many others to help the winning side prevail.)

Vault 43 - Population: 20 men, 10 women, 1 panther. Its stuff like this that made me love fallout. I did not make this one up I promise XD.

(You team up with the others to fight the panther bare handed, many die. or you team up with the panther and kill the others, many die. You tell me lol)

Vault 53 - Most of this vault's equipment was designed to break every few months. while repairable, the breakdowns were intended to stress the inhabitants to study their reaction. Vault remains sealed

(You live a long stressful life, however u become quite the handyman in the process)

Vault 55 - All entertainment tapes were removed. Vault remains sealed.

(A long life with no movies, no music, no video games. If you can make do in a vault with out entertainment, this isn't a bad choice)

Vault 68 - Population 999 men 1 woman. Oh crap!

(The woman was ripped to pieces within minutes of the vault door closing. The 999 men fought to death over her remains. 1 is left standing)

Vault 69 - Population 999 woman 1 man. You'd think that it would be fun, You'd think...

(Within moments of the vault closing, one woman screams "If I can't have him no one can!" and stabs the man in the eye with some scissors. The woman inevitably fight to the death. 1 is left standing, but she has here one eyed man who wasnt that good looking to begin with.)

Vault 77 - Populated by 1 man and a crate full of puppets. I <3 Fallout lol

(After months of isolation you begin to act out scenes with the puppets, you give them names, occupations, and personalities. Years pass and you wake up to find a puppet murdered, he's been decapitated. Your favorite puppet tells you that you did it. Out of fear of repercussion from the puppet sheriff. You and your favorite puppet are forced out into the waste where you must fight to survive)

Vault 87 - A FEV research and testing facility. Test were ran on the inhabitants creating the original Super Mutants. Those Mutants took over either killing or turning the remaining inhabitants into Super Mutants.

(You are involved in a bloody war for control of the vault. You may leave the vault but only as a Mutant)

Vault 92 - Renowned musicians live in this vault to "preserve artistic talent". This vault was geared specifically for experimenting with white noise generators that implanted subliminal messages into the minds of its resident population in order to create a super army. This results in the inhabitants becoming uncontrollably aggressive and killing each other. 1 person survives.

(You may live to see the waste but you can no longer socialize with others without ripping their face to pieces. You also have intense rage that allows you to walk through 20+ bullets. Injuries are still injuries but your pain threshold is unhuman)

Vault 106 - Psychoactive drugs are pumped into the air filtration system several days after the vault closes. The vault is sealed from the OUTSIDE and the few survivors living inside are completely insane.

(Someone could let you out into the waste but you still struggle to differentiate hallucination and reality)

Vault 108 - This vault had a cloning lab and its residents are clones of one man named Gary. The doctors and cloning staff attempted to kill some Gary clones to make room for more new clones but Gary, Gary, and of course Gary weren't gonna have this. Now all thats left is a bunch of guys named Gary.

(You may live a nice happy life and eventually leave the vault, but only as a Gary.)

Jim

Re: Which Vault is for you?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 07:43 »
Vault 17 i choose cuz i be with family.Ugly one but still  :)
We made some hause not so close to human city and whole life is devoted finding cure so we can be humans again.
If i be alone, without family, then i pick vault 34. Having gun  with me i guess will be meaning alot there.Me and moust trusted ppl will be holding togheter and try to find way out.Finnaly when we go out, probably we will travel all togheter in hope to find more normal humans like us.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 08:01 by Jim »

Feather

• Don't Panic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 08:11 »
Funny thing Jim chose V17... Thing is, during 2nd session there was some story developed around that particular vault, so Hambone's description is not entirely wrong, but misses the more recent developments there. FOnline2 canon <-> Fallout canon.

Anyway. I might answer this question with Nr. 55.
Sounds the most safe and the lack of entertainment can be fought by creatively forcing my fellow dwellers to perform theatre plays and real life soap operas for me. ;D

Jim

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 08:21 »
V55 sound nice and couzy at start but knowing human nature, soon there apeear lack of resource, food and suplys and ppl become nasty motherfuckers.Some way out soon all will start lookin.Raising population also woul become problem, sooner or later.

Smiling Jack

• `param 0 522 1 pls
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 09:36 »
V55
No entertainment tapes? Big deal!

I would create my own ;3

Although V17 also has it's smarts. If I were living there, I wouldn't know the danger, and if I would I kinda would still go along. Why? 75 years is a long time. By that time I would be an old prick, and dipping in FEV would make me ageless. Not so bad.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 09:38 by Smiling Jack »
VtM Bloodlines challenge:
Spoiler
A certain primogen's diary:
Spoiler
Best ads ever in VtMB's "Deb of Night"
Spoiler

Trickster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 12:46 »
Vault 8 for me. I know it's not on the list but that's the one I'd choose.

When I played Fallout 2 for the first time I was very confused in Vault City and Lynette annoyed the shit out of me.
With passing years however, looking at the ineffectiveness of democracy and mediocrity of our society I became to appreciate benefits of totalitarian and elitist government.

So back on the subject - If I had to choose a vault, I'd be happiest in V8. Given a choice however I wouldn't mind V15 (or any other Vault which opened early) and living in Wasteland instead.

Xsarq

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 12:51 »
1. No sex
2. No books
3. Slavery
4. No freedom of word
5. No journeying
6. No alkohol.
7. No drugs.

Obviously this is so much better than our hopeless democracy....DUH.

SpongeBob

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 13:06 »
what democracy?

anyway, V55. i only need my hand to entertain myself...

for fuck sake

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 13:10 »
vault 69.

who likes 69-s. 999 vs 1 men. uh sounds op.

Wichura

• Contributor
  • High-Tech Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 13:12 »
Vault 53. I'm an offshore electrician, I don't afraid of breakdowns and failures.
Nie biegaj za stadem.
Budem rádi za každého človíčka
I'm sure in about 5 years we will have some decent loner playability.

Jim

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 13:42 »
vault 69.

who likes 69-s. 999 vs 1 men. uh sounds op.

;D
Cross my mind to but if one women left from 999 womens, then that chick must be harsh.And one eye uhhh..

Whorectro

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2014, 13:56 »
Surely vault 69... i mean... God 999 to 1 it's like... very nice odds  :P And well i'm just choosing a vault so i don't know yet what will happen so my mens brains tells me this is the one :P

Trickster

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2014, 13:59 »
1. No sex
I'm drawing my knowledge from the conversation with Phyllis in Fo2. She said that intercourses still happen. They just don't lead to pregancies. Ever heard of contraception?
2. No books
They are considered obsolete not forbidden. It's sort of happening in reality as well. More and more people reach for electronic formats.
3. Slavery
They are not slaves, they are servants :D
4. No freedom of word
Yeah right... "freedom of word is a good thing" said the Nazi Admin of Polish Subforum.
5. No journeying
Well, Phyllis in Fo2 mentioned that Citizens aren't disallowed to travel - simply not many of them want to do leave the walls of VC. 
6. No alkohol.
7. No drugs.
Personally I wouldn't have problems living in a place where drugs and alcohol are forbidden. Freedom of travel would allow me to indulge my vices in New Reno every once in a while while society I live in would be spared problems they cause.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 17:11 by mrsarcastic »

for fuck sake

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2014, 14:09 »
;D
Cross my mind to but if one women left from 999 womens, then that chick must be harsh.And one eye uhhh..
everything to the eyes, nothing to the hands  :D.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 14:20 by jAmie »

Smiling Jack

• `param 0 522 1 pls
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2014, 20:05 »
mrsarcastic has some very good points. But this topic I see as some "choose the best option" for you, that is none of the vaults is just black and white. Different shades of grey, and everyone chooses the one to be most comfortable with.
In that matter I would choose Vault City too. However that v55 is still sounding interesting. I could make my own cult there, because people would be so bored they would do anything for fun :D

Also jAmie sounds like a horny mofo. I like him! :D

But regarding the 999 women 1 man discussion. That's a no-no. Would you want to be left alone with that one chick, buffed up with steroids, who also happens to be a complete dominatrix? Oh no, thank you, I prefer my hand. (if you know what I mean)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 20:07 by Smiling Jack »
VtM Bloodlines challenge:
Spoiler
A certain primogen's diary:
Spoiler
Best ads ever in VtMB's "Deb of Night"
Spoiler