Author Topic: New player, trying to understand Builds/pvp/meta  (Read 734 times)

Cibi

• View Profile
New player, trying to understand Builds/pvp/meta
« on: September 09, 2017, 06:53 »
So, typically before ever setting foot into a RPG, especially one with multiplayer and PvP, I survey the forums or where ever people talk about the game, and I try to grasp what works and what doesn't. I have absorbed some things, such as Perception being important to spot, Endurance and subsequently bonehead being important to mitigate CC, and the fact CC is very important in PvP, and plenty of generic perks like "Brof" and Better crits make up the better part of peoples builds. I've also observed that one can go VERY wrong with their build, and I seek to avoid catastrophe.

I fully intend to PvP, I want to try and get competitive asap. I am seeking advice to this end

Questions:
1.) What sort of builds actually work? Big guns I know do, I see they are very common, but what about small guns, energy weapons?
2.) How much wiggle room do I have with building my character? I am no stranger to strict meta, however I dislike it.
3.) An extension of question 2, are there any niche builds one would want to make me aware of? Please do.
4.) I found little information on whether or not its important to have a crafting alt, or how important crafted gear is to maximize effectiveness, however I have a feeling it is quite important. So I ask, should start with a crafter, and is it imperative to use the gear crafted?

Thanks for your time

Dequ

• View Profile
Re: New player, trying to understand Builds/pvp/meta
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 08:10 »
1. All builds based on selected weapon works ( Big gun, small gun, energy weapon, throwing, meelee) and their variations like dmg, high AP, blind ones, tanky ones, many others etc.

It is matter of learning game mechanics and understanding which kind of build/weapon is good in which situations. There is no best build/gear for every possible situations.

2. There is many hundreds of build which people are playing with. Staying strict to meta is good for new players, but more you learn the more you are able to make up your own kind of builds and use them effective.

3. I Dont get your questions.

4. Separate pure crafter alt is not needed and most people dont have it. Any character can become crafter, you only need 130 repair skill, 130 science skill. Also high Strenght is preferable to be able to carry more recources.

Crafted gear is important on some special builds, but for regular game play and regular builds it wont matter much at all. Most of gear used in pvp are regular.

I hope that helped
althought if you believe in yourself you can still be totally crap

My FO2 videos:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Dequz

Cibi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 08:31 »
Question 3 essentially was asking, that if in the case that the meta was too strict, to give some examples of niche builds that could manage to break the mold.

This is good to hear, I've always liked Energy weapons, and I might start building that first, its also good to hear I can go strait in with a combat character, as I would want to do that.

Thanks

Dequ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 08:59 »
Meta is not too strict. Not giving you any builds now, but for example very low EN builds which only few ppl using/used.
althought if you believe in yourself you can still be totally crap

My FO2 videos:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Dequz

Cibi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 12:44 »
Is bonehead absolutely necessary?

Jim_imba

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 13:24 »
Despite popular opinion Bonehead imo is not absolutely necessary, first of all they can shoot your hands/groin where it has no effect (they don't know you don't have bonehead). Also you use up one trait, and for some characters some traits are just pure advantages e.g. fast shot on bursters for +5 dmg or Fast Metabolism. However if your build can lose one point without impacting Endurance or Agility (in case of bursters) or Luck (in case of snipers) or if it is a TC build (build for mass fights in open areas) it's very highly recommended to take it. If it's burster build which goes to closed areas in which you will find few snipers, you can live without it. And generally for bursters:

2 Toughness absolutely needed
2 Lifegiver absolutely needed
2 BRD absolutely needed

and the other two are variable, you could take any of these: Action Boy, Medic, Quick Hands, More Critical, BroF (needs 6 PE), Stonewall (needs 6 ST) depending on the build.

Edit: and if you want to solo generic dungeons or worldmap events easily and quickly i'd recommend a burster as first character, SG is more suited for PVE as the NPC's generally don't have very high HP and SG needs 1 less AP to shoot, whereas BG waste more ammo and need 1 more AP to fire, but deal a bigger chunk of damage and are very useful in PVP. Not to say you can't build a sniper tank who also can use bursting weapons, that will work almost as good against NPC's
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 13:27 by Jim_imba »

Fóxtrot

• I Like the Way You Die, Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 13:56 »
Another important question is, are you gonna play solo or with the small group of buddies or willing to join one of the big gangs ?
These three scenarios will give you different options, since you are so much into the meta.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 16:04 by Fóxtrot »
Erin Go Bragh, Erin go Braugh !
It's Irish for "you're fucked".

Blobfish

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 00:47 »
For start its recommended to have build that can guarantee you self sufficiency. Basic farm build, for farming in tb or rt, possibility to lvl it up fast, so mostly pve orientated with ability to craft.

One example of that:
Spoiler

In this thread you will find basic tips for newcomers to server, as well as viable build on bottom of post.
https://forum.fonline2.com/index.php?topic=18857.0

You can check more threads here on forum for pvp orientated builds.

Also, you can check rest of more recent posts on jts forum section, maybe it will be helpful.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 01:20 by Blobfish »

Boom

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 00:00 »
Very Interesting....

Cibi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 22:16 »
So, I've played quite a bit now, I came up with this in the end as a build, and I am enjoying it atm. I brought a small group of friends to play with regularly, to answer that one guys question

Spoiler

She is built as a Crit based EW sniper, I have a Exp. Cap. Laser Rifle with +4 range, and I utilize all drugs usually in combat that's serious. My friends all run more sturdy CQC builds, and I usually supply point damage. I also utilized stealth usually to mitigate Aggro, and get in better positions. I haven't tried any PvP, I want to try.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 22:19 by Cibi »

Pyra

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2017, 00:05 »
Finesse Sneaker with EW?  ;D
It wont works, because enemy will see from where you are shoting (except pulse rifle, there no bullet animation)
Finesse? Its cool with SG weapons, but not with EW (i tested it) soo weak dmg and not much criples (maybe a few more than normal build)
Spoiler

I would suggest you make one of those builds
Spoiler

Regular builds for Energy Snipers :) Good Luck

Fóxtrot

• I Like the Way You Die, Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2017, 08:17 »
I like the way you're thinking, although it clearly indicates your lack of experience.
Let's see:
1. Playing with bunch of friends basically means small scale PvP orientation, which provides you the most versetality, in my opinion.
2. Though they might still be quite playable and even enjoyable, none of the builds below really fits the small scale PvP perfectly. You do not need that much of a PE, most of the times you simply won't be able to utilize it. Also your concept of proper positioning will break due to aspect limited space in some dungeons (Glow?).
3. Although it's been many times proven that any kind of build might work in proper hands, I really recommend you to start with something less squishy. The build you posted - it literally takes 1 shot, 1 burst to take you down. And if you think you will be safe due to your positioning - I have a bad news for you, pal - first of all, you are using EW which gives away your position whenever you shot and 2nd of all - at this stage of a game people got used to sneaks and ofund out the ways to spot them (including some special client modifictions), so to succesfully sneak you at least need some experience first.
4. Some might disagree on this one, but I still think that having different charaters for different scenarios is better than trying to make the universal one. I myself own like 6-7 characters which lets me adapt to any given scenario. So you better be ready for that you will need more than one char.

Aaaaand some short tips in the end:
1. EN < 9 works only with sneaks (in 99%).
2. Plasma rifle op shit nerf plz. (plasma-tanks are the best non-burster choice for the small scale PvP atm).
3. Bursters... Bursters are everywhere. (I recommend you to have at least one in your team comp.).
4. Flamers? Who said flamers? (flamers may easily counter bursters).
5. Forget about the finesse. At least for a while.
6. Everything comes with an experience. Start with some standart build, get some inside view of PvP and shit and then start working on your own builds. Only then you will understand all the consequences of your choices.
7. Something else...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 08:19 by Fóxtrot »
Erin Go Bragh, Erin go Braugh !
It's Irish for "you're fucked".

Cibi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2017, 13:22 »
Thanks all for your suggestions, and I do take them into consideration. I kind of like my build, and I've simed it some, and just today I actually went Pking and got myself a kill. I recognize that she is squishy, and the various flaws, but this is my first build, and she is quite fun to me. I might just keep playing her the way she is, she's 28 already and I am filling that template out nicely.

Also yea, damn does Plasma do damage, really makes me wonder if I should roll a plasma tank in the meantime.

Cibi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2017, 13:51 »
So, maybe a bit of a necro, but I've recently rerolled and optimized my original build a bit. I want to keep the same features, but min max it to increase survivability. I like how it has turned out, regardless of it being maybe not entirely the best premise.

Spoiler

Szelus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2017, 17:41 »
So, maybe a bit of a necro, but I've recently rerolled and optimized my original build a bit. I want to keep the same features, but min max it to increase survivability. I like how it has turned out, regardless of it being maybe not entirely the best premise.

Spoiler

Useless build, either long or short range, not many HP, not many AP, Finesse, Skillpoint wasted for odd Agility value.