Poll

Would you like to see scheduled wipes?

Yes
21 (55.3%)
No
17 (44.7%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: Scheduled Wipes/Tech Progression  (Read 2889 times)

jammaplaya

• View Profile
Scheduled Wipes/Tech Progression
« on: December 15, 2016, 05:41 »
I'm trying to figure out what the popular vote would be for having wipes on a schedule.

What I would like to see is having each part of the tech progression set to a certain amount of time. Something like this:

Tier 1 - 2 months
Tier 2 - 3 months
Tier 3 - 4 months
Tier 4 - 6 months
Tier 5 - 9 months
Wipe

How this works is that, by the time the first 2 months are over, all of tier 2 will be unlocked, and so on. So throughout the first two months, tier 2 items will become unlocked, at the discretion of the admins. Even maybe some tier 3 equipment could become unlocked during the first two months, but definitely by the time 5 months has passed, all of tier 3 must be available at the workbench.

I like the rat race. Tech progression is appealing to me on a personal level. I think it's the best way to create a use for the lower tier items. Let me know if you agree or disagree, or what your preference for the scheduling model would look like.

Der Amerikaner

Re: Scheduled Wipes/Tech Progression
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 05:54 »

We are not going to spam server restarts on clean slate aka Wipes. The next wipe what is going to happen is planned to be LAST wipe forever.

rechyyy

• Memories never die
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 06:42 »
Tier 1 2 month?
Fuck you

Alexander

• Mercenary
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 06:47 »
Tech Progression was a good concept, but not fully executed to it's full potential.

It would have been interesting to see new tech be released by events held by the two main antagonist factions in FOnline2, which were Enclave & BoS. Unfortunately the community has little sense of RP and people demand too much from the devs.

Edit:

Actually, idea for tech progression would be that the server has to craft x amount of items available in the current tier to be able to proceed to the next tier. A la Age of Empires style. Of course it would be timegated too I guess.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 07:02 by Alexander »
Community: When is the wipe?

Wesan: Not anytime soon

John Name

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 11:47 »
The tech progression was an awesome idea, if only they would have tier placed frag nades and super stims it would have been super dandy eye candy, I loved running around with a flamer or grease gun fighting people using the same weapons, felt more violent somehow and way more post apo wasteland, I say modify the tech progression system in terms of optimisation but keep the lower tier weapons going a little longer than this season, I remember when deathbolt won the hunger games and asked for a minigun blueprint and 1 Rocket launcher  :) or when nuka and I found a 14mm pistol inside glow and were super happy about that, or when 3 of us found an improved flamer and a woohoo ensued!  ;D seriously good times  :)

Brightside

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 15:47 »
I think it would be nice to adopt diablo set (aka green items) concept in FOnline 2 somehow.
Diesel Power / Leut. of Justice / Motorcycle Cop / Turbo Killer / Claw Operator / Your Loadstar

CrimsonDemon

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 15:49 »
No wipe soon.
Confirmed

jammaplaya

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 17:22 »
One thing they could do is, when wipe happens, whoever has the most tokens at the time of the wipe will get their choice of any item in the game for the next round.

it might be a bit unbalanced, when someone has power armor while everyone else is still in tier 1 tech progression, but then you have to consider how many tokens went unused by everyone throughout the session. it's balanced.

jammaplaya

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2016, 11:37 »
Tier 1 2 month?
Fuck you

Yeah, you want tier 4-5 as soon as possible for your hexbot cheats. I get it now.

Wondering if I need to re-run the poll now after mass banning.

Edit* And just to clarify, tier 2 items would be slowly released during the first two months, but overall the model I provided is just a rough estimate. I thought they did an awesome job with the tech progression for session 3
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 11:39 by jammaplaya »

Wichura

• Contributor
  • High-Tech Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2016, 12:37 »
What on Earth is tier 5? I thought tier 4 is gay enough.
Nie biegaj za stadem.
Budem rádi za každého človíčka
I'm sure in about 5 years we will have some decent loner playability.

jammaplaya

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2016, 12:57 »

lol good catch! Sorry, there is no tier 5 in fonline. I was confusing it with another game.

Hazard

• Nothing to see here, move on
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2016, 13:10 »

lol good catch! Sorry, there is no tier 5 in fonline. I was confusing it with another game.

Well actually Power Armor and APA are sometimes considered tier 5 and tier 6. Also you probably wouldn't classify plasma gatling as a tier 4, but rather a tier 5/6.
Musashi be like:

)
°)
 ͡°)
ʖ ͡°)
 ͜ʖ ͡°)
° ͜ʖ ͡°)
 ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Someone said loot? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Dequ

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2016, 13:28 »
Tech Progressions is really nice feature, but needs some balance changes, and I wish there wont be such a hurry to release new tech next season. I enjoyed most on t2 fights: metalmk2, rocketlauncher, lsw, improved flamer, assaultrifle.

Scheduled wipe is bad idea, I dont like it.

Glumer

• Local Moderator
  • Never giving up
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2016, 13:38 »
Wipes are unfortunately part of tradition in fonline world (community doesnt change much by time). Maybe making rare items more rare and implement degradation by time after looting it from container or etc. (it can prevent hamtering and carpets) may give game new breath.

T-888

• Contributor
  • Soldiers of Thunderstorm
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2017, 13:46 »
I will not add my fair share of the few words I can spare in the time I have for the wipe aspect of the suggestion. I don't even know how the opinion of the subject has evolved or if it remained as it was among the developers, nor the approximate progression towards a wipe.

The tech progression is one of the most conceptually difficult solutions implemented in the game, in my opinion, far from the developer initial expectations of the potential it has and despite the well reception of the community of the idea in general, because whilst contributing the adapted weapon balance in the midst of its implementation I realized several complications that were not entirely solvable within the time, limit of resources and the nature of the concept.

A scheduled time when the next tier would progress would create imbalance to the inter-tier weapon balance, for example, simply because certain tiers didn't have enough weapons that would allow balance with any kind of values within the context of their mechanics (burst, single, range etc.) To maintain balance between each tier, my final idea was to create values that would uphold optimal balance only on a condition that each tier could progress at the time when it reflected the best possible balance, a manual, fixed progression that was invisible to the player to portray an "autonomous" system based on player activity, merely an illusion. That didn't go too well for many reasons (in my view it could have gone much better), time constraints, difficulty communicating everything that was done by everyone, mistakes in the balance, additional unforeseen consequences (to maintain balance, the power gap between tiers was reduced as much as possible, as a result lower tier weapons were more powerful and competitive against higher tiers, but bots also beat the shit out of players harder than before with the new low tech). I could talk a hell of a lot more about this, that's why... and so on etc. etc.

More advanced items are discovered one by one (from the weakest to the strongest) by Players, by finding blueprints for them. Technology is slowly increasing depending from players actions.
After fixed numbers of Players dicovers specific numbers of blueprints for that single item - its getting unblocked for all other players to craft.
Yes research are not full automated yet, so we need to do sometimes things manually. But if you trying to tell that nothing depends from players - it is not true.

So throughout the first two months, tier 2 items will become unlocked, at the discretion of the admins.

It was already partially like that. I get your suggestion, but it's just a little bit more complicated than just slapping some times together like you imagine, there are plenty of other things to solve to make it possible and for the system functioning good enough for the benefit of the players at all.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 13:54 by T-888 »