Author Topic: Remove Worldmap - Completely Open World  (Read 1862 times)

jammaplaya

• View Profile
Remove Worldmap - Completely Open World
« on: August 15, 2017, 09:08 »
This isn't likely to be the most popular idea, because of nostalgia.

But what if there was no world map?

Each town would be connected by a series of maps, one map for each square of the world map.

There would be bases and tents in the wasteland, or possibly in certain maps designed for them, and they would have locking gates usable by the owner or their friends. Of course, there would be a limited amount of bases and tents. Mobs would spawn in certain areas and once killed would respawn within a small range of time.

Vehicles would still exist, but there would be a limited amount of them. Parking lot maps for each town would exist, with some parking spots available for 'rent'. The vehicles would only be usable by the owner. Using a vehicle to travel would bring up a menu for where you would like to go, including bases that you have access to.

For bases, tents and vehicles, certain ones could be won from raffle draws, so anyone could get lucky and own them while providing a nice currency sink. Special deed items could be used to transfer them to other players.

Ore nodes would exist in caves in the wasteland maps, and they would also be on respawn timers. Same with trees etc.

Anyways, I'm not seeing the bad in this idea really. Maybe it's already been suggested in the past, or possibly there  already has been servers utilizing this that I am not aware of.

Question is, who likes this idea?

Lucek666

• View Profile
Re: Remove Worldmap - Completely Open World
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 10:35 »
Yes, it is interesting idea which pop up here and there from time to time. On AoP you can get some example how it looks.
But would be nice if goal of such change would be to bring something new and unique to gameplay instead just basically kick out wm and copy all wm mechanics and events to local maps.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 10:40 by Lucek666 »

Severnain

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 23:20 »
I think similar idea is to remove kebab

Spoiler

jammaplaya

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 06:15 »
I think similar idea is to remove kebab

Spoiler

Somehow that looks delicious to me.

Wichura

• Contributor
  • High-Tech Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 18:18 »
This could work only on a server desinged from scratch strictly to have no worldmap at all. Which means making a whole brand new game basically, with different ideas for private locations (bases, tents etc.), hunting mobs, fighting and whatnot.
Nie biegaj za stadem.
Budem rádi za každého človíčka
I'm sure in about 5 years we will have some decent loner playability.

jammaplaya

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 00:39 »
Would it be possible just to make the entire map one completely open world? Or in other words, no zoning whatsoever. Just one giant map. Not sure if the engine that runs this could handle that?

Since there is no z axis in fallout, dungeons and vaults etc would still require zoning, of course.

Beret

• Contributor
  • For Boobs glory of course!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 10:26 »
I always liked idea of open worlds, but it wont work on Fo2.
Instead I would like to have some special event, where for example 60 players with different professions (crafters will be usefull), will be taken on some small Island which was a big town. It might be 4 big maps connected via grids, so no any WM there, u are starting with nothing and can collect stuff by scavening resources like from ecounters, by searching lockers and junks, ofc there should be presented critters like animals and humans. The point would be searching for some Data vaules or anything, if more u gather and bring at end of event, the better reward u get.
The point is that u are closed from other world and naked, need to gather some stuff (It should be done in way, that tier 1 and 2 will be usefull, at least at start, and t3 will be rare). Maybe there cooldowns would be a bit highger to balance healing.
Something like Hungergame, but for longer (event might work for 1 hour, 1,5 hour, 2 hours), u can replicate there if u want so after die u still can get something. And instead of spawning alot of drugs/weapons/ammos, there would be spawning mostly resources, so this event would create such great post apocalyptic theme.

It would be more like Battleroyal where u dont have to be lastman standing like Hunger games, but U have to collect some resources.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 10:35 by Beret »

Try not. 'Do', or 'do not'. There is no 'try'.

Lucek666

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 10:39 »
Would it be possible just to make the entire map one completely open world? Or in other words, no zoning whatsoever. Just one giant map. Not sure if the engine that runs this could handle that?

Since there is no z axis in fallout, dungeons and vaults etc would still require zoning, of course.
Map size has limitations. I heard limit is around 10000x10000 (I was not able to make such big map on mapper). To compare enco map size is ~150x150, city ~300x300. So yeah, it would be possible make "open world" on one piece of map. But everything only in theory. I doubt that mapper could handle such big map if fill it whole by scenery, walls and such. Also no idea how such map could affect server / client performance.   

Feather

• Don't Panic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 14:37 »

So... PUBG for McGyver-alts. Sounds cool...

As for the original suggestion – nah. I'd rather like to see an enhancement of what the current worldmap is, by adding loads of red dot events (such as broken car, suspicious ruins, convoy) but having different types of them.
Some open just like the ones we have, where in theory the biggest swarms dominate them and some that are artificially gating how many players/ teams can actually enter them, or how often you are allowed to re-enter them, to create more variety of actions and more fair playgrounds for smaller teams or even loners.

Yellow dots: Pure PvE – First person/group to enter gets to do it. As soon as someone entered it the dot vanishes from the map for others.
Orange dots: PvE/PvP – First person/group gets a time limit to solve the encounter, after the time is up a second person/team can try enter and hunt the first, but only one team (dot vanishes for the rest of players) and only the chars that originally were involved can re-enter it. The first group also determines the allowed max player size for the following group (So if 2 players entered only 2 can follow)
Light red dots: Same as orange with no initial grace period timer and one-life only (no fast respawn-regear-re-enter circlejerking), but possibly allowing more than 2 parties fighting.
Red dots: like current red dots with no limitations.

This would make traveling in groups on the WM fun I think. (And leader-alts something that is useful beyond swarming convoys :D )

jammaplaya

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2017, 02:38 »
I agree that the current WM could be enhanced with more red dots etc and that would be effective, for some time.

However I have to disagree that it's the best option.

Over-specialization of the current worldmap setup is a slow death, one that we've all been witnessing since the birth of fallout online. Slowly but surely, people are less and less involved. 3rd party cheat programs nestle in to the gaps that this overspecialization produces, and we end up dying slowly in terms of population growth.

Open world maps are popular, but that isn't the point. The truth is that Fallout 1/2 are much more tactical games than the newest fallout 4, and so there is potential for a new audience who would prefer a more tactical experience but in an open world setting.

I understand that there are limits with the engine, and thanks Lucek for the information. 10kx10k map size isn't that bad, especially if the entire map was broken into four large quadrants with multiple teleporters to each one. In other words, a sewer system, trains, vertibird etc. Many ways to teleport from one grid to the next will eliminate the potential for camping PKs on the other end.

So I guess all I'm saying is that we can be satisfied with what we have refined, which is excellent and thriving rather well as it is, or we can be bold and put in the effort to make something bigger and better. Always innovating is the only way to survive in the long run.

If I wanted to take school to get to learn what I need to know to help improve fallout online, what courses would I take? Just C++ or is there more?

Szelus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2017, 15:08 »

Yellow dots: Pure PvE – First person/group to enter gets to do it. As soon as someone entered it the dot vanishes from the map for others.
Orange dots: PvE/PvP – First person/group gets a time limit to solve the encounter, after the time is up a second person/team can try enter and hunt the first, but only one team (dot vanishes for the rest of players) and only the chars that originally were involved can re-enter it. The first group also determines the allowed max player size for the following group (So if 2 players entered only 2 can follow)
Light red dots: Same as orange with no initial grace period timer and one-life only (no fast respawn-regear-re-enter circlejerking), but possibly allowing more than 2 parties fighting.
Red dots: like current red dots with no limitations.

This would make traveling in groups on the WM fun I think. (And leader-alts something that is useful beyond swarming convoys :D )

Nice

Warpig

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 13:38 »
And what loot you expect in something like yellow dot, when loot on half current events is crap and they are fully opened to pvp?