Author Topic: Minimum outdoorsman and or character level required for special encounters  (Read 125 times)

Rundskop

• View Profile
As the title says.

A few days ago i started again playing (after a 4 years break).  I did not read the Wiki again because i prefer a sense of wonder over quick spoilers.  My first char left kenny's tent and wanted to check out the new maps first.

Joy, i could see a worldevent just next to kenny's tent. 
I hopped in with my newly made HtH runt and eventually got shot by some raiders.
This caused me to respawn up north. After 2 more deaths, i spawned further up north.
North of Broken Hills, i decided to go south to the Hub.
Since i had no outdoorsman and one perception this was going to take lots of running to the exit grind.
But to my joy i could see all new maps.  One had some lockers wich i couldn't open.  The next had a hospital wich i couldn't open.
Thinking i could find this hospital again, i decided to invest in lockpicking at the next level up.
The next encounter... was a big Khan hideout.  "Wow what nice encounters" i thought. 

But then i leveled up a bit and got outdoorsman.  No more hospital and hideout.
At that point i did check the wiki and realised that those maps were one-time special encounters.
This kinda put a big bugget of puke over that fresh explorative feeling that is so easily lost.
It also destroys for a part this char's future plans.

It would be nice not to stumble on those encounters with a level 3 char.
Setting a minimum level on fallout2 encounters is easy, i immagine it cannot be hard for this server to do this as well.
I imagine it's an oversight ?  Because this seems a basic step to do.
Or at least leave a map marker for special encounters so you can visit those maps again (like in fallout2)

PK

• View Profile
Create new char put on some gear, walk in turn based, take some lock-pick sets and voalia. Its not servers fault that you walk naked and then boo about dying
The person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Wesan

• Developer
  • The one who smiled.
    • View Profile
The special encounters are not one-time. You will be able to encounter them again, random is god and if it rolls your way, you'll end up with a Special encounter. So there is no reason to limit new players from it, as they can stumble upon it on higher levels anyway.

Making location stay existing on the map upon finding is a thing we cannot do, every place in the game takes memory, storing places like such would be an engine-wise mistake.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 07:30 by Wesan »

Rundskop

• View Profile
Create new char put on some gear, walk in turn based, take some lock-pick sets and voalia. Its not servers fault that you walk naked and then boo about dying

Create a new forum sig, write in turn based, take some mentats and voilĂ .  You are no longer a forum troll who makes shitty replies to make himself feel smarter.

The special encounters are not one-time. You will be able to encounter them again, random is god and if it rolls your way, you'll end up with a Special encounter. So there is no reason to limit new players from it, as they can stumble upon it on higher levels anyway.

Making location stay existing on the map upon finding is a thing we cannot do, every place in the game takes memory, storing places like such would be an engine-wise mistake.

Thank you for your reply.  The information i got from that wiki was faulty then. 

xsarq

• View Profile
Back in my days I never got same special encounter twice on one alt and i never heard about anyone doing that. Wiki's old though very possible something changed.
Xsarqopedia has been fully replaced with Official Wiki. You can expect the newest updates to be added on official wiki just like at old times.