Author Topic: An Important Announcement - Season 4 and Patreon Launch  (Read 5305 times)

John Name

• Nothing unreal exists
    • View Profile
Re: An Important Announcement - Season 4 and Patreon Launch
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2019, 17:23 »
Thanks John!👌
lets not turn this thread into a thank you John thread since it is obviously about more than that, what I think this means is with a new game engine the developers are free from any legal actions from bethesda or any other company owning the rights to fallout, which means the developers can make any alteration to the game they want as well as actually profit from making it which could be awesome or really bad, they will feel much more motivated to add more content to the game as well since once they have a new game engine they can profit from making this game, I mean who knows if they actually start to make money from it they could even possibly quit working their jobs and just work on the game instead, I have a irl friend who works at CCCP in iceland(the company that makes EVE online) and I have known him since we were both 8 years old and he is making games and it is awesome!

This thread could actually be the beginning of a new gaming company dudes and dudettes!

Spoiler
SERIOUSLY DO NOT LET THIS GAME BECOME PAY2WIN!!
"Fuck literature"-Ernest Hemingway

Alaestor

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2019, 00:14 »
Thank you, John.  ;D

LagMaster

• May The Lag be with you!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2019, 14:08 »
can't wait for wipe.
Remember skycast and Rascal, abusing power never ends well.

SPECIAL

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2019, 22:13 »
Thanks John, you presented me this beautiful amazing game! :-* :-* :-*

Mr.NiceGuy

• Shhhh no tears only dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2019, 14:52 »
I haven't been active in recent years but I check forum from time to time... Really glad to read these news. This game broke my love for other games and it doesn't matter how much time passes Fonline 2238 and FOnline 2 have special place in my heart.

Sending monthly caps to support you  ;D

Cheers.
*Real*

Qui audet adipiscitur
Main Cause of saltiness since 2238

邪悪

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2019, 00:09 »
Hey devs, why don't you learn from fo2238 experience and change your views towards 3d? I just read a comment in patreon page about it and personally wasn't surprised, since... been there done that.

I'm not saying that you should leave 2d as it is, I'm talking about normal adequate 3d. Here's the problem:

1) You're trying to keep the original fallout as much as possible.
2) Yet you're making 3d models, which look very similar to original 2d sprites, except they're no longer sprites, have smooth animation, look completely different (not pixeleted) and look completely "alien" on original fallout background (ground, walls, cactuses, etc.), as if they're out of place. You may see similar effect in indie games, when 3d models are free models available from some website from different authors and don't fit together at all and as the result even casual players, who know nothing about design, simply feel it when they play such game. This is what feeling players will get, when they see your 3d models.

Solution:

Don't try to copy original stances and animations, just make normal 3d, but keep the atmosphere. Male should still walk like a boss and stand like a hero. A stance can be similar to this:
(image from nexusmods)
Spoiler

The ground and walls and other scenery can still be 2d, but rendered from HD 3d, like in Pillars of Eternity:
Spoiler
Spoiler

Pillars of Eternity uses 3d models only for characters/monsters, while ground and scenery are 2d images.

Because what you're currently doing - is running in two opposite directions at the same time. You don't want players to say "pff, it's no longer good old fallout", but at the same time your 3d is really no longer a fallout, but an attempt to mimic it.

Just imagine what could happen with normal 3d models and 2d HD prerendered background? Your FOnline server would be truly unique. original 2d sprites, where you can see every pixel, were designed for a 2d game with the same graphics everywhere. Character's proportions and really strange movements with hands can be explained mostly by old technology and because you can't have much details with so low resolution. They had no choice but to make these strange proportions and robotic moves, there's no reason today for you to try to mimic it. 3d != 2d anyway, no matter what 3d you're making, it 100% won't be good old fallout anyway.

Here're screenshots from my very old abandoned project, which was an unofficial Jagged Alliance 2 1.13 HD remake:
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
And I wasn't really a good 3d modeler back then, I'm mostly game designer and a coder, but I still managed to make those with blender, rigged and animated them. Unfortunately you can't see the animation on the screenshots, but my goal was to retain JA2 atmosphere. I didn't copy body proportions and even didn't mimic animations 1:1, but used the same style, second image shows the aiming with pistol animations for both male and female. If you played JA2, then you will immediately recognize those animations, although body proportions and even clothing is different, but you still recognize Deidrana's "redshirt" male and "elite" female, even if they never used camo pants in original JA2.

What I want to say: don't try to copy original fallout1-2 visually 1:1. Make different 3d character models and try to give them the same feeling. Fallout1-2 was inspired by wild west (that's why magnum has -1 AP per shot, because of this):
Spoiler
and futurism, use this in your new 3d models and scenery. Don't forget about dark mood and ruined wasteland.

I just don't want to see your players saying "pff, original 2d sprites were better" when they see your 3d models that look out of place.

Rascal

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2019, 22:19 »
about 3d in season 4...

:D:D:D

KUDOS TO KARPOV and other ppl involved :)

You all may be sure we are aiming to make it the most original sprite-like falloutish as it is possible, the results are great :)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 22:23 by Rascal »

Alaestor

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2019, 00:48 »
With all this being said. Is there an idea of the time frame the developers believe they will have things prepared for an official wipe date?

Do the Developers intend to advertise Season 4 with the intent to bring many new players? If yes, can those ideas be shared? I know that with enough money summed up it is possible to sponsor a small time youtubers with 100-200k subscribers to advertise it for a minute.

Share your thoughts?

Rascal

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2019, 20:19 »
about advertising - we are open for any cooperation and yes we are planing to put as much effort in advertising as it is possible, last session we broke every fonline game record with 550+ players playing at the same time, we are hoping to beat it.

xsarq

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2019, 15:19 »
Problem with huge amount of players playing at the same time is that...well game isn't really fit to that. Sure Europe usually has ok ping, but I remember Accosta's unkillable lag storms or Hedron's 500ping TC Sniper times. If game can't support people from other continents we are fucked.

Xsarqopedia has been fully replaced with Official Wiki. You can expect the newest updates to be added on official wiki just like at old times.

wazzaup

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2019, 15:25 »
I remember BlueDrake42 at one point playing fallout online. He has a pretty big community and one that likes more hardcore games as well.
A wild WastelandHippie appears .

Rascal

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2019, 17:09 »
Well guys when its gona come to game promo every helping hand is extremely welcome so together we can build new epic start for all of us.
About ping, cant workaround things we cannot overcome, server is location in Europe and it will be, sadly nothing else can be done, but you know this for sure already.
Only good thing is that our current server has some better performance than previous one, maybe it will have some positive impact.

Alexander

• Mercenary
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2019, 01:47 »
130-180 ping isn't all that bad for North Americans. Latency is another thing.  I used to play 220 ping in TF2 and still managed. As long the server doesn't get sent to Luxembourg.
Community: When is the wipe?

Wesan: Not anytime soon

Wesan

• Developer
  • The one who smiled.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2019, 12:50 »
There is no reason to promote the game yet. When it's done, sure. Right now though, hold your horses.

Problem with huge amount of players playing at the same time is that...well game isn't really fit to that. Sure Europe usually has ok ping, but I remember Accosta's unkillable lag storms or Hedron's 500ping TC Sniper times. If game can't support people from other continents we are fucked.
What we hope is that the new engine will be able to handle bigger amounts far better, especially with so many things restructured and 64-bit system.

With all this being said. Is there an idea of the time frame the developers believe they will have things prepared for an official wipe date?
When it's done!  We have open betas and tech demos planned. But the official date will not be announced until we're sure it's done and ready.
This will be the final wipe. We have to ensure that gameplay and game will be set in stone.

3D

The models are rendered down and pixelated. The animations are constrained to 24 FPS to keep the old school feels.
A good example of what our aim would be pretty much what Factorio did with their own 3d.
https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-146

Same things happen here. We're 'processing' the 3d to give them sprite feel to make them fit.

That's how the original models were developed too, then rendered into a 2d format.

So work with Shaders, Textures, adjustments will get us as close to the original. I think we already have surpassed Fallout 2 models: Myron, Vic, they all have an awkward rubbery 3d look in comparison to Fallout 1, despite being frms.

Spoiler

Down here you can find one of the original topics and screenshots, to see what we begun to work with and compare that to our current result.
https://fodev.net/forum/index.php/topic,29461.msg258961.html#msg258961

And from here we can only get better, the models are okay, thing what makes them feel 'falloutish' is post-processing.

And yes, Pillars of Eternity team does Amazing job of blending 2d and 3d, creating an amazing detail.
The difference is we're not a professional game development team with 30+ people in just art design doing full week shift on graphics. But just 3 guys with some helping hands from time to time, which means redoing 14,000+ art assets for scenery is something that would take too much time and effort compared to gain.

Horus

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2019, 14:41 »
Awesome! Look forward to it.