Author Topic: Tips for New Players - Session 3  (Read 8872 times)

Trickster

• View Profile
Tips for New Players - Session 3
« on: October 27, 2014, 13:17 »
Here's a list of few tips I came up with during my first day of playing. I hope that some new Players will find them useful while some of the more experienced ones will add theirs.

1. Get an armor! Most enemies at the moment are using JHP ammo. It deals massive amount of damage to unarmored targets but has no penetration. Combat Leather Jacket will absorb ~80% of damage.

2. Do a GLORIOUS Jet supply quest. It gives you an advantage of 3 extra Action Points very early in game. Bear in mind that you will have to dispose of several enemies wielding Deagles and one with Grease Gun

3. Take an advantage of technology. Even though technology progressed a bit most difficult enemies wielding rocket launchers, light support weapons and miniguns currently have lower tier weapons.

4. If you didn't already - do Kenny's Quest. It's also much easier than it used to be because enemies in Raiders Base haven't got Assault Rifles

5. Laser Pistol is your friend. My best character of last evening was... a treasure hunter build meant for roleplaying. Only beacuse she had fast shot and -1AP laser pistol. It deals massive amounts of damage, can be crafted with bonuses and costs 2AP to shot.

6. Quests, quests, quests. All quests described in Wiki can still be completed. That means you can reach lvl. 7-8 without firing a single bullet.

7. Do miscelaneous events. If a kid in Vault City is starving, don't be an insensitive dick! Just take a pack of cheesy poofs and get your ass over there. It's worth 3000 experience points. NPC's have ! over their heads.

8. Be smart and perceptive. Intelligence of 6 is necessary to have Bonus Rate of Fire perk and to benefit from operation in Glow (if that hadn't been changed) while PER of 8 allows you to spawn in very good locations in every encounter - behind walls and close to exit grid.

9. Use shortcuts to manage inventory. SHIFT + click puts item from inventory on the ground while CTRL + click puts/takes item from active container. CTRL + D drops everything you have while CTRL + L picks stuff up (up to double of your carry weight). CTRL + G allows to browse a pile of stuff.

10. Use your left hand. I've noticed plenty of cripplers this session. It is a good practice to keep a weapon in your left hand (slot 2) because most of experienced are more likely to attack (and cripple) the right one.

11. Press F1. Although it doesn't include all keyboard shortcuts, it's a great help. It contains keys for stimpacks, auto aim and chat commands among other stuff.

12. Turn Based combat is good for start. Although it's not a very good practice for PvP but it makes life easier at the early stage of game. Bear in mind that caravans, all encounters, some instances (i.e. Raiders Base, Deathclaw Nest) and even Sierra Dungeon can be done in TB.

13. Loot quest locations. There are random items in containers in Raiders Camp, Deathclaw Den, Molerat Farm and they aren't that bad. I've found StealthBoy, 5xJet, SStims, multicolored flares and a lot of weapons.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 14:27 by Trickster »

T-888

• Contributor
  • Soldiers of Thunderstorm
    • View Profile
Re: Tips for New Players - Session 3
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 17:38 »
Temporarily stickied.

MasacruAlex

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 22:26 »
thanks!

Prof

• One of ex-SoT AI. Amboys now own the licence on me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 01:09 »
F1

Has useful info on default hot-keys.

Checking it out right now i noticed it does not have small stimpack hotkey probably because of lack of space.

Alt + 2  Use stimpack from inventory.
Autism. Autism never changes.

Russia has the best ballet dancers.

Trickster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 12:26 »
Thanks for feedback guys. New ones:

11. Press F1. Although it doesn't include all keyboard shortcuts, it's a great help. It contains keys for stimpacks, auto aim and chat commands among other stuff.

12. Turn Based combat is good for start. Although it's not a very good practice for PvP but it makes life easier at the early stage of game. Bear in mind that caravans, all encounters, some instances (i.e. Raiders Base, Deathclaw Nest) and even Sierra Dungeon can be done in TB.

邪悪

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 16:32 »
Tips for evil noobs:

1. Buy furniture. Lure tent robber to your tent/base, then log in with another character, which is already in there with furniture in inventory. Block the entrance with it. Now poor tent/base robber can't leave!
Or just surround max possible territory with it around spawn location (mind that you can't put it near spawn locations) as a death trap for robbers.

Trickster

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 18:12 »
Evil, that's not how it works :D

邪悪

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 18:45 »
Evil, that's not how it works :D
But I already tested it by trapping my own science alt ^_^ he has no base ownership, so there was no way for him to leave.

Interfuckemon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 04:25 »
One very useful tip is to press down shift when scrolling, it will scroll the whole page instead of 1 item. No one seems to know that. Extreme useful when shopping.
Knowledge is Power, Abusing the knowledge makes me EVIL

gabe1037

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 09:25 »
Geckos! All I gotta say... but seriously, killing geckos near Modoc, not that near more in the middle of Den and Modoc, that's where all the geckos are. And running over to Modoc to sell, it gives more caps than caravan, one player can kill hordes of silvers with ease, golden ones can get difficult without armor, I do it with a sniper build in real time without armor... Great income for starting player and also good experience. People think Modoc is infested with pkers, I barely see anyone there, no one has yet to pk me for gecko pelts, or maybe I'm just lucky.